Frustration and Procrastination

I guess those two things go hand in hand.  Procrastination may not be the correct term, though.  Perhaps laziness is a better noun.  I don't know.  All I know is I'm tired of short changing my family and myself when it comes to procrastination about preparing meals.

Of all people, I should be the one constantly turning out new and wonderful dishes- especially in the summer when I'm not teaching.  I have absolutely no excuse.  But still, it happens.

Take today for example.  I have been in and out of the kitchen all day.  I made home made chicken stock, buttermilk Kentucky biscuits and rhubarb jam.  But when 3:00 rolls around, I haven't the slightest idea what to do for dinner- nothing defrosted, no recipe ready and waiting... Why is that?  I think and write about food 85% of the time, and the other 15% is spent reading about it.  So why am I so lazy about preparing meals?

Maybe it's cooking for another person that throws me off.  Devin has different taste in food.  Things I would eat for dinner, I'm not so sure he would.  I always have to stop and wonder if he's going to like what I fix.  Which is completely ridiculous, because he eats whatever I put in front of him.  He has never complained (except that one time he told me dinner smelled like dog food).

Perhaps it's all the dazzling options.  There are very few foods I don't like.  As much as I read about food, I could go for any of a thousand things at any given meal.  I stock a pretty decent pantry and freezer- but to utilize them effectively I have to plan ahead- and that is my big downfall.

So if I know planning ahead is my Achilles Heel, then I need to get better at it.  Make a list of what's in my freezer, then go to the pantry and plan meals around it.  Sounds so simple, doesn't it?

As soon as we finish eating the take out brisket I picked up, I'll get right on that.  :)

Comments

Popular Posts