Strawberry Shortcake

So after making a big batch of biscuits the other day, I've been trying to find ways to use them all.

My husband would eat dessert three meals a day if he was allowed, so he's always in favor of a sweet breakfast option.

I used my biscuits as the base, then threw together a strawberry compote-ish kinda thing.  It actually came out like a really thick strawberry syrup.

Here's what I did...



I chopped about 8 strawberries in smallish chunks and put them in a small sauce pan with about half a cup of dark brown sugar.  To that I added a good dash of fig infused balsamic vinegar and a wee dash of Calvados apple brandy.  I stirred it occasionally and let it boil on medium heat for about 15 minutes.

Next, I whipped some heavy whipping cream in my mixer with about 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar.

I split the biscuits, buttered them and added a few spoonfuls of the strawberry mixture.  I put the tops on and dolloped the whipped cream on top.  I added a fresh strawberry for garnish.

These tasted really good.  You could use this method to make compote/syrup out of any fruit.  I think I may try blueberries next!  I may even use my emulsion blender and strain out the seeds.  Then I'd have a luscious fruit syrup.  To eat out of the jar with a spoon.  :)

Comments

Popular Posts