Shrimp and Grits

I'm on a roll, folks!  Another great summer supper.

I love shrimp and grits.  If I see it on a menu somewhere, I usually order it.  If that menu is at a restaurant in the South, I'm usually not disappointed.

I've made this before, but I never make it the same way twice.  I wanted to try to make the grits in my Instant Pot, so I looked on Pinterest to find a basic recipe.  I read it, ignored some of it, and proceeded to create supper.

Here's the link to the recipe I found.  I trust the lady that writes the recipes for this site, and if I'm looking for Instant Pot advice, I go here first.

This is what I did differently...

Her recipe calls for 3 cups of water and 1 1/2 cups milk or cream.  I used 2 cups of tomato juice, 1 cup water, then the 1 1/2 cups whole milk.  If heavy cream was in my icebox, I'd have used it as well.  She put all the butter, cheese, and liquid in the pot at once, then cooked it.  I chose to put the juice, water, and milk in, cook the grits, then stir in the butter and cheese.  Probably doesn't matter that much.  I did toast the raw grits in bacon grease, just as her recipe suggested.  I will definitely do that again, even if I cook them on the stove.

I peeled and thawed my shrimp, then while the Instant Pot went through its 15-minute cooldown, I sauteed the shrimp in butter and BBQ seasoning (I get it from Penzey's).  To serve it, I just put the grits in a bowl, then topped it with shrimp and some butter sauce.

This is so good.  And the best part is... I have cheesy-tomatoey grits leftover for breakfast in the morning!

Comments

Popular Posts