Punkin Pie!!

I know you're thinking I'm a little late with this post.  I suppose you're right.  I actually bought the pumpkin I used to make this pie in October.  It has been gracing my countertop, mocking my laziness since then.

The only reason this pie happened now was because of a renewed interest in my instant pot.  Dev and I bought a mini instant pot for his mother for Christmas this year.  When we went to visit for New Years, I did a little tutorial for her on how it works and what kind of things it does well.

Since we've been home, I've had my own pot out and I've been using it as often as possible.  We've had chicken and dumplins, chicken korma, chili- all kinds of things.  Then it occurred to me it would be an easy way to dispatch this pumpkin.

I put the whole pumpkin in- I didn't trim anything off.  I put it on the trivet and poured a cup of water in the bottom.  I cooked it on manual for about 15 minutes, then let it naturally release before opening the lid.
I cut the stem off and cut the pumpkin in half.  Then I scooped the seeds out, which was so much easier after it was cooked. I peeled the skin off and threw the flesh in my food processor with about a quarter cup of water.  Then I proceeded to follow this recipe, but I substituted heavy cream for the evaporated milk (because I didn't have any and I wasn't about to go to the store in the snow just for that).  I also used a store bought pie crust, because if I had had to make a crust from scratch today, it wouldn't have happened.  I had too much homework!

The resulting pie was pretty good!  I think because I used cream instead of evaporated milk, I should have upped the spice level.  I felt it could have used just a touch more spice.  But overall, it was easy and it made Dev happy, so... Yay!

Comments

Popular Posts