Air Fried Chicken!

I mentioned before that I have jumped on board the air fryer train.  Tonight, I tried something that I really didn't think would work- or even taste decent.  Imagine my surprise when it came out pretty much as good as any fried chicken I've ever made!

I was inspired by this video, but I didn't use the breading recipe or the water-dipping thing.  Because I was fairly convinced this wasn't gong to work, I decided to cheat and use Shake n Bake for chicken.  I know.  I should have my Southerner card revoked.  In my defense, I did marinate the chicken in buttermilk, though.  I promise, next time I will make my own dredge.  Geez.  Cut a girl a break!

What I did was more a process than a recipe, so I'm going to list what I did in steps.

1.  Pour about a cup of buttermilk into a pie pan.  I used my pyrex pie pan.  Add a few shakes of hot sauce and mix.
2.  Add chicken to buttermilk mixture, making sure to turn it over so that the mixture gets on all sides and in the crevices.  You can use whatever chicken you want.  I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
3. Cover chicken with plastic wrap and put it in the ice box.  Overnight would be ideal- I only had an hour.
4.  I poured both packs of seasoning mix from a box of Shake n Bake in another pie pan.
5.  When you are ready to dredge, spray both trays from your air fryer with non stick cooking spray.  I also lined my drip pan with tin foil.
6.  I took the chicken out of the ice box and dredged each piece separately in the Shake n Bake. After dredging, lay the chicken pieces on the trays- make sure they aren't overlapping or touching.
7. Spray the chicken pieces with olive oil or canola oil.
8.  Preheat the air fryer on 370 for about 4 minutes.
9.  After preheating, Put both trays in and cook for 10 minutes on 370.
10.  After 10 minutes, switch the trays and cook for another 10 to 12 minutes.  Make sure the chicken has an internal temperature of about 165.

I served my chicken with some roasted potatoes and slaw.  I could not believe how good this was.  Next time I am totally going to make my own dredge, and marinate the chicken overnight.

Comments

Jim Ryan said…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7j3sUWohE

It's Shake n Bake - and I helped!!

Popular Posts