TicTok Korean Fried Chicken

 This culinary experiment was not a success.  When I write that, I mean it did not live up to the fantasy version of it I had in my head.  Mine turned out well, it just didn't meet the criteria for mastery I set for it.

I will blather on about it the recipe after I've laid it out... I'm giving you the version I wish I had done (not my lesser version).  Here's the link to the video on TikTok... 

Korean Fried Chicken via TikTok

Marinate Chicken:

6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs

1 cup buttermilk

2 tablespoons hot sauce (I always use Valentina)

Put the buttermilk and hot sauce in a pie plate and whisk them together.  Lay the chicken thighs in the marinade, turning to coat them completely.  Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and put in the ice box for at least an hour.  If you can remember to do this the night before and let them hangout overnight, it will make things even better.

Make some white rice:

2 cups basmati rice

3 cups water

1 packet Mi Arroyo white rice seasoning

I make my rice in my instant pot.  I put the rice in first, then pour in the water and seasoning packet, then give it a stir.  Set on manual for 4 minutes, and make sure the pot is sealed, not venting.  I let it stay in the pot even after it's done while I finish the rest of the parts.

Fry the Chicken:

1.5 cups Korean pancake mix (or you could just use regular flour with whatever seasonings you like)

Water (whatever amount is called for on the pancake mix package

extra pancake mix for dredging

Enough vegetable or peanut oil to come up about 2 inches in a dutch oven or large saucepan

Put your pot of oil on medium heat.  On my electric stove, I usually put it on 5.5.  Allow it to come up to temp while you dredge your chicken.

Set up a little dredging station: have the chicken (still in the buttermilk) on the left.  In the middle put the pancake mix mixed with water(or seasoned flour). After that put the extra dry pancake mix in a wide, shallow dish. On the right have a piece of parchment paper or spray some cooling racks with non-stick spray.  Pull a piece of chicken out of the buttermilk, then put it in the pancake mix and cover it.  Make sure to flip it over and coat both sides.  Dip it in the dry mix. You want plenty of coverage because that's what makes the crunchy crust on the chicken- really smoosh the dredge in all the nooks and crannies.  Lay the dredged piece of chicken on the parchment paper or cooling rack, then repeat for the rest of the pieces.  If the oil still isn't hot enough, put the chicken in the ice box (uncovered) so the crust can really set on the pieces. You'll know the oil is hot when you stick the end of a wooden spoon in and bubbles immediately form around it.  Alternatively, you can also throw a piece of your crust mixture in the oil and see if it immediately bubbles.

Fry 2 or 3 pieces of chicken at a time until golden brown and done all the way through.  If you have a meat thermometer, you're looking for between 165 and 170.  I have read some recipes that say double frying is better.  This means you fry it once just to set the crust and get some color on it.  Then you remove the chicken and fry it again at a slightly higher temperature to really make it crispy.  I plan to try this next time I make it.  Put the finished chicken pieces to the side while you make the sauce.

Sauce (I made a triple batch because I wanted to have some left over for a few other experiments- these amounts are for a single batch):

1 tablespoon honey or golden syrup

1 teaspoon ketchup

1 teaspoon gochujang paste

1 teaspoon soy sauce

1 teaspoon white sugar

1 teaspoon seasoned salt (or plain)

red pepper flakes to taste

1 teaspoon minced garlic

generous splash of water

Put all these ingredients in a skillet over medium heat and bring to a boil.  When it gets sufficiently syrupy, you'll know it's done.  If it gets too thick, add another splash of water.

Put the pieces of chicken in the skillet with the sauce and toss to coat.  I did one piece at a time.  

To plate this, I used 2 big spoonfuls of rice, then topped the rice with a piece of sauced chicken.  I garnished with sliced scallions and sesame seeds.  

Notes:

I had all the ingredients listed in the recipe- I just chose to do something different- and that made all the difference.  Next time I make this (and there will be a next time), I will not deviate from the instructions in the video.

I decided to air fry the chicken instead of traditionally frying it.  This was a big mistake.  To me, part of what makes Korean Fried Chicken work as a dish is the contrast in flavors and textures.  There is the sweetness to lessen the heat, and there's also the super crunchy outside of the chicken to balance the tender, juicy inside.  My version had the sweet/spicy part, but air frying the chicken didn't produce the crunchiness it needs to be successful. 

Another thing I feel was missing was the specific texture that comes from using the Korean pancake mix to dredge the chicken.  I used flour seasoned with garlic and onion powders, dried oregano, and smoked paprika.  This is usually great for air fried or traditionally fried chicken- it just didn't work here with the flavor profile of the sauce.  

In the video instructions, instead of marinating the chicken in buttermilk, the chicken is coated in the pancake mix and then put in the ice box.  I think this makes for better batter adhesion on the chicken, which again adds to the crunchiness of the final product.

I don't have a picture of the finished product because I was doing this while trying to decorate the Christmas tree, and when it was done- I just wanted to eat.

 

Comments

Popular Posts