Mini Quiches

 

My colleagues and I eat breakfast together pretty much every Tuesday morning during the school year.  Usually, I stop by City Market and pick up a box of frozen mini quiches, but this last Tuesday, I decided to make them myself.  They did not disappoint.

I used Will's mom's crust recipe, and my tried and true quiche filling recipe.  The filling included spinach, mushrooms and shallots.

Other than being annoyingly fiddly when trying to shove the crust into the silicone muffin cups, it wasn't too bad.

Here's the crust recipe:

2 cups flour

1 t salt

2/3 cup butter flavored shortening

ice water


I dumped everything but the water into the food processor and blitzed it until it looked like sand.  Then with the motor running, I added ice water a tablespoon at a time until it came away from the sides of the bowl.  I dumped it on a piece of parchment paper, kneaded it until it came together, rolled it out and cut out circles.  I put the circles in the silicone muffin tins and put them in the ice box until I had the filling made.

Here's the recipe for the quiche base:

4 eggs
pinch of REAL nutmeg
pinch of cayenne pepper (I used a few shakes of hot sauce)
pinch of sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups heavy cream

Throw everything in the blender and whiz around for about 20 seconds.

I sauteed the spinach, mushrooms and shallots for about 10 minutes then let them cool.  I took the muffin tin molds out of the ice box, put grated cheddar in each crust, then some of the sautéed veggies.  I filled them about 1/3 of the way up with filling, then baked them at 400 for 10 minutes, then covered them and lowered the oven to 300.  They baked about 30 minutes- but keep an eye on them!


Comments

Popular Posts