Mashed Potatoes

I should start a series on 100 things to do with leftover mashed potatoes.   I'm betting if I really put my mind to it, I could come up with almost that many things.

Whenever I make mashed potatoes I ALWAYS make more than I need.  Around my house, the leftovers are more sought after than the original dish- the same thing happens with lasagna.  Anyhoo....

My basic recipe for mashed potatoes hardly ever changes.  I peel however many russet potatoes I think I'll need.  This particular time we were having a guest for dinner, so I bought 4 really large russets.  I fill my spaghetti pot (I think normal people call them stock pots) with water and put it over high heat.  I throw in 4 whole bay leaves and 2 or 3 peeled and smashed cloves of garlic.  I cut the potatoes in largish chunks and put them in the water.  I bring the whole thing to a calm boil, throw in some salt, and let it go for about 20 minutes.

Now, if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just drain the potatoes, pick out the bay leaves, throw them back in the same pot, add 1/2 a stick of butter and about 4 oz. of cream cheese and mash them with my potato masher.  If I have company coming, I'll drain the potatoes, pick out the bay leaves, throw the potatoes and the garlic into my kitchen aide, add the butter and cream cheese (and sometimes a touch of heavy cream if they need loosening up) and, starting on low speed with the paddle attachment, mash them in the mixer.  They get smoother and creamier using the mixer method.  Either way they taste good.

I went one step further down the road to deliciousness this last time and used my chive garlic butter instead of plain, unsalted butter.  Holy cow- they were ridiculously good.

So- the next morning I had an entire container of glorious leftover mashed potatoes.  But whatever shall I do with them?

Comments

Popular Posts