Garbage Frittata

Another horrible iPhone picture of a really good breakfast.

I think the frittata deserves more credit than we generally give it.  It is a blank canvas, to be populated with whatever bits of stuff we have lying around.

This one was particularly good.  And, it was particularly strange.

I have been struggling to use up the garden's last gasp this weekend.  To that end, I fried a batch of green tomatoes Friday, and made a huge pot of mashed potatoes.  I served them with a couple of brown sugar glazed pork blade steaks.  I had leftover bits of all those things floating around in my ice box, so I decided to throw them in a frittata this morning.

There isn't really a set recipe for a frittata.  I started by roughly chopping the fried green tomatoes and the blade steak, then warming them in the skillet with about a tablespoon of butter.  When they were warmed through, I beat 4 eggs with a good splash of heavy cream, salt and pepper.   I added a handful of grated Irish cheddar to the eggs, then poured them over the tomatoes and pork in the skillet.  Then I got the container of leftover mashed potatoes and dropped spoonfuls of them around the skillet.  I let it set for about 5 minutes over medium heat on the stovetop, then shoved it in a 400 degree oven for about 12 minutes.  I let it cool for about 5 minutes in the skillet, then slid it off onto a cutting board and served pieces of it with some cheddar cheese grits and fresh cantaloupe.

The leftovers are going into biscuits for breakfast this week.

So- I highly recommend giving this a whirl.  You will not be sorry!

Comments

Popular Posts