Knitting Project

So, my niece Taylor is having a baby soon.  I decided I would knit a blanket for the new baby.

When I was a kid, my father's mother was the fiber arts person in the family.  She crocheted afghans for all the kids, and cross stitched birth announcements, etc.  Nana past away several years ago.  I started thinking about the kids who will be born in the family in the future.  Who would make heirlooms for them?

I figured, even though I'm not nearly as talented as my grandmother (actually, both of my grandmothers crocheted), I can knit, so I should pick up the mantle and continue the tradition.

I started this project a while back.  I am shocked I actually finished it before the baby is born.  I kinda figured I'd give it to the baby when she graduated from high school. :)

It came out very nicely, but the yarn I used was awful.  It's called Baby's First by Lion Brand.  It is really thick, but the strands come apart and break easily.  I think I'll send this one to be there when the baby is born, but maybe I'll make another one that I have more confidence in.  I can just see this one completely unravelling after a few washes.

This project was fun, and it was a confidence booster.  I'm thinking of casting on a scarf project later this evening...

Comments

Popular Posts