Chai French Toast

This was my culinary project for Sunday Brunch.

Yesterday we drove to Grand Junction to do some shopping, and on the way out of town we stopped at one of our favorite places to eat sushi- No Coast Sushi.  Will wanted dessert, so we ordered the Chai Creme Brûlée.  It was delicious.  I guess that's what inspired me to try this out.

So I don't make French toast very often, and I'm not sure why.  It's pretty much easier than pancakes or waffles, and you get the same sort of carb-soaked bang for your buck.

I really don't have a recipe for French toast, but here's what I think I did...

Chai French Toast

3 slices homemade bread- or something of good quality- not white sandwich bread- mine were huge
3 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 good pinch of kosher salt
1/4 cup chai tea liquid concentrate
3 scant tablespoons unsalted cultured butter (or regular)
a few pinches of kosher salt
maple syrup for the table

First, I cut 3 pretty thick (about an inch) slices of homemade bread.  We make our loaves in a round shape, so the slices were pretty huge.  I set them aside while I pondered the custard part.

In a medium bowl, I cracked the 3 eggs, added the heavy cream, salt and liquid chai concentrate.  I whisked this until it was really foamy.

Then I got out my griddler and preheated it on the griddle setting at 375 degrees.  You could also do this in a skillet on the stovetop.  I was just lazy and wanted to cook all 3 slices at one time.

I went back to the custard mixture and poured it into a glass pie plate.  Then I added 2 of the bread slices so they could begin to soak.  I'm guessing I left them in there about 5 minutes.  If your bread is thinner, don't let it soak until it falls apart!  I flipped them over to the second side and let them sit another couple of minutes.

When the griddle was preheated, I put the first two slices on, then began soaking the third.  I didn't put butter or any kind of oil on my griddle, because I just find that it makes it harder to clean afterwards, and things don't stick to it anyway.  I use a Cuisinart Griddler, but just do what you normally do when you make pancakes, and you'll be fine!

I let them cook for at least 5 minutes on the first side.  I wanted to make sure the inside was cooked through, and not runny.  In the past, if I didn't think it was done on the inside, but was getting too dark on the outside, I've finished it in the oven.  Luckily, I didn't have to do that this time.  I added the third piece to the griddle, and flipped the other two over.  I'm guessing the second side cooked about 3 minutes.  Really, this part isn't rocket science- pull it off when you think it's done!  The third slice was ready a few minutes later.

I slathered the pieces of bread with about a tablespoon of cultured butter each, then gave each a pinch of kosher salt.  I served it with maple syrup.

Like I said before, I should make French toast more often.  This was really delicious!

Comments

Popular Posts