Soup For Lunch



I love soup. Especially potato soup.

The last few potato soup recipes I've tried have left me flat. So when I checked out the "New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant" book from the library, I was hesitant to try the potato soup recipe.

Luckily, I threw caution to the wind and tried it anyway, and I'm so glad I did.

Very Creamy Potato-Cheese Soup from "New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant."

3 to 4 tablespoons butter
2 cups chopped onions
1 large garlic clove, minced or pressed
2 large potatoes, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
1 large carrot, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
1/2 stalk celery, coarsely chopped (I added this- it isn't in the recipe)
3 cups veggie stock or water (I used 2 cups chicken stock plus 1 cup white wine)
1 teaspoon dried dill (2 tablespoons of fresh)
4 ounces cream cheese
1 1/2 cups milk (or part cream)
1 cup grated sharp cheddar (3 ounces)
salt and black pepper to taste
fresh or dried parsley for garnish

In a large soup pot, saute the onions and garlic in the butter until the onions are translucent. Add the potatoes, carrots and celery and saute for 5 to 10 minutes longer. Add the stock or water (or wine) and dill and simmer until all the vegetables are tender.
Puree the veggies with the cream cheese and milk in a blender or food processor. Return the soup to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cheddar cheese and reheat gently.
Serve each cup or bowl garnished with parsley.

This soup was delicious...and even better the next day. When I rewarmed it, I had to add more milk because it thickened up in the fridge. This was excellent with a piece of parmesan toast and a simple spinach salad...



I can't wait to try more recipes from this great vegetarian cookbook!

Comments

Popular Posts