Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes



I am a very lucky girl. I married a guy who loves learning how to make cheese. I happen to love eating cheese. Works out well for me, huh?

I have been asking Dev to make a batch of fresh ricotta for a few days. I've seen several ricotta recipes on blogs and in magazines, and I prefer to use home made, because it is softer and sweeter than store bought ricotta.

I used the first of the batch on pizzas day before yesterday. This morning I used a little more to make something I've wanted to try for a long time- ricotta pancakes.

I saw a special on The Food Network about different chefs' favorite things to eat. On the breakfast episide, someone said they loved the ricotta pancakes at some fancy restaurant. I watched the process and figured there wasn't any rocket science involved and I could probably do just as well at home.

I started with my standard buttermilk pancake recipe.

I usually let the batter sit a few minutes while I plug in and heat up my electric griddle. Right before I was ready to ladle the batter on the grill, I added some ricotta cheese. I crumbled it in the batter in fairly small pieces. Then I cooked them like I normally do, adding fresh blueberries to each pancake before I flipped to the second side.

I didn't have any maple syrup, so I heated equal parts honey and butter and whisked them together until they were pale and light. I may never buy syrup again.

The pancakes were light and airy...and every once in a while you hit a little pocket of creamy ricotta cheese and a big, fat, juicy blueberry. The honey butter took it right over the top. What a great breakfast!

I think this would be good using almost any fruit...especially strawberries and sliced fresh peaches.

Anyhoo- you should try this immediately! Your family will thank you...

Comments

pancake recipes said…
My kids simply love fruit bits in their pancakes. (They like it better when the fruit bits are in the batter itself.) Blueberries are my twin boys' favorite, while the other two girls prefer banana, strawberry and peaches.
I've got to try making pancakes with ricotta, you make it sounds really good, lol! And you are indeed very lucky, my hubby wants nothing to do in the kitchen except to eat! lol!

Popular Posts