Fig-Balsamic Glazed Pork Chops

So I still have quite a few packages of pork in my freezer from when we bought half a pig last year.  I took out some pork chops the other day and decided to see what I could do with them.

Firstly, I decided to brine them.  I've read quite a bit about brining meat (especially pork), and if it keeps the meat moist, I'm all for it.  To me, one of the worst things in the culinary world is a dry pork chop.

I didn't really measure, but I put a handful of kosher salt in the bottom of a tupperware container, then laid in my 4 chops, then added water until the chops were covered.  I stirred it around, sealed it up and left it for 24 hours.

The next day I took out the chops, rinsed and dried them, then rubbed them with olive oil and salt and pepper.  I put them to the side to come up to room temp and turned my attention to a glaze.  I love pork chops with a sweet element.

I had a jar of fig preserves in the ice box, so I put a few tablespoons of that in a small saucepan, then added a few glugs of inexpensive balsamic vinegar.  I put it over medium-low heat and let it sit and simmer until the chops were done.

The chops were thrown on a medium high grill for about 4 minutes a side. Right before I pulled them off the grill, I painted them with the fig/balsamic reduction.   I think they could have come off a little earlier.

On the side I whipped up a quinoa-veggie salad and dressed it with a citrus vinaigrette.  I seem to remember mixing cooked quinoa, cucumber, feta, tomato and fresh mushrooms.

This meal did not suck.  I will make it again.  Mostly because I still have tons of pork chops in my freezer!

Comments

Mimi said…
Thankfully, this little piggy was never part of the pork industry. We went in with Dev's sister and bought a pig from a small farm here in Colorado.
I agree that the meat industry is guilty of many evils, and whenever possible, I try to buy local or at the very least organic and free range!
Hmmm this recipe looks so delicious and nice and i think that fits perfect with my taste and in my opinion is a very easy recipe, so i think i will try it. Thanks for sharing.
Pork chops can be added with a mix of vegetables.

Popular Posts