Dutch Babies and Other Odd Culinary Subjects

I was reading my blogs last night before I went to bed and saw that Angry Chicken had posted a "Dutch Boy" recipe.  I've heard of these before...some people call them German pancakes, or oven pancakes.  I guess I just assumed they were too much work to bother with.  Well, according to this post it's not difficult at all.  I had all the ingredients- butter, flour, eggs, milk.  And I had a large cast iron skillet.  So I threw caution to the wind and decided to  give it a try.

As it turns out, it really wasn't difficult at all.  It was almost too easy.  And mine came out just like the picture (which NEVER happens to me).  I have only 1 criticism.  I really think it is too bland.  The recipe does not call for any salt (although I did make the conscious decision to use salted butter).  It tasted like a creme puff without the creme.  Syrup didn't help much.  But at lunch I found this recipe's true calling.  I tore the remaining half pancake into 2 halves and filled each with leftover chicken curry....MINDBLOWING.  It was like a crepe, only sturdier.  This would be amazing with any kind of roasted meat.  As a matter of fact, after looking at other similar recipes, it is the same as Yorkshire Pudding- which everyone knows goes hand in hand with a big ole slab of roasted beef!  This is the kind of thing you eat while standing in front of the ice box at 11pm, stealing cold leftovers.  Seriously- I will do this again.

I will also upload the picture I took, as soon as my phone cooperates with me and emails it like I asked it to.  Who knows how long that will take.  But in the meantime, hit the link at the beginning and look at
Angry Chicken's photo.  Mine looks just like it!  Yay!

Comments

Popular Posts