Chicken Divanishness

This is a terrible picture.  It makes my dinner look like spotted dog food.  I promise it tasted really good, though.  I seriously need to stop taking blog photos with my iPhone.  I bought a really good camera to take food pics for the blog, and apparently have become too lazy to walk upstairs and get it.  Bleck.

So this was a clean out the icebox kinda dinner.  It is loosely based on a chicken divan recipe my ex mother in law used to make.  Well, that's not really true, because I've never seen the recipe for the chicken divan.  It kinda looked like it.  Whatever.

Here's what I did...

I threw 2 cups of rice in my rice cooker (a birthday gift- more on that later).  While it was festering away I did this...

I chopped half a yellow onion and threw it in a skillet with some olive oil.  After a few minutes I threw in some sliced mushrooms (the end of a basket that was well on its way to science project status).  After they colored a little, I added some leftover steamed broccoli and let it cook a few minutes more.  I sprinkled a little salt on the veggies, and glugged a few glugs of Vermouth in the pan, just to make things interesting.  I let that reduce down a bit.

I greased a 8x8 pyrex dish and layered some leftover shredded rotisserie chicken in the bottom.  I threw the veggies right out of the skillet on top of the chicken.

In a bowl I mixed a can of Amy's Organic Cream of Mushroom Soup, a few tablespoons of mayo, a few tablespoons of sour cream, some fresh lemon juice and a few pinches of fresh curry powder.  I threw in an egg to bind everything together.  I poured the soup mixture over the chicken and veggies.

I had half a can of french fried onions left from my Thanksgiving Green Bean Casserole, so I threw them on top, then finished the topping with some melted butter and panko crumbs.

Into a 375 degree oven it went for 30 minutes.  I served it over some jasmine rice, and dressed it liberally with fresh ground black pepper.  It  didn't suck.

Comments

Popular Posts