Crab Salad

It seems a bit of a reach to call this a recipe.  It's so simple.  But sometimes the simple things are the best.
My sister Cindy and I used to frequent this sushi place in Savannah.  Cindy's favorite roll was a gunken-type sushi filled with some type of crab salad.
When I was home during December, she and I went back to that sushi place, and the crab gunken roll was nowhere to be seen.  Needless to say, Cindy was heartbroken.  I started thinking about the crab salad (and the shrimp salad, which used the same basic ingredients) and figured it couldn't be that hard to make.
The biggest stumbling block I faced when I decided to replicate this recipe was access to good quality crab meat.  I ended up settling for lump crab meat in a pouch.  Is it the same as fresh crab from home?  No.  Is it better than canned crabmeat?  YES!
Here is a shot of all the ingredients I used: 1 pouch of crabmeat, some lemongrass paste, Duke's mayonnaise, dijon mustard and chopped scallions.  I think Japanese mayo would be a better choice, but I can't find it where I live.  Japanese mayo seems to be a bit sweeter.
So here's a shot of the ingredients in a bowl.  I can't really give you amounts, because it depends on what you decide to put in your salad.  It just needs to come together and look like crab salad.  I mixed mine with a fork because I wanted to break some of the crabmeat up, but not all of it.  Don't over mix this.  You want chunks of crabmeat in there.
This tastes very similar to what I remember from the sushi place.  Cindy will be the final judge, however.  You could do this same thing with shrimp or chicken.
I'm planning to use my batch a couple of different ways.  I have mini croissants to make sandwiches (adding sliced cucumber).  I also have spring roll wrappers, so I'll wrap rice noodles, cucumber, avocado, mango and the salad.  As an appetizer, I could serve this in little phyllo shells with a sliver of mango on the top.  I also think this would be good in a quesadilla with monterrey jack and mango.
Sounds like maybe I should make another batch!

Comments

Patty said…
Nice! I only recently came across your blog, but have enjoyed this post and will be back to read more.

Popular Posts