CrockPot Dinner

So tonight's dinner was easy.  When I'm on bus duty, I'm always tempted to cheat and throw a frozen pizza in the oven.  These longer school days- then afternoon duty on top of that- are really kicking my butt.

Fortunately I thought about that yesterday, and prepped a chicken to cook in my crockpot while we were in school today.

I totally made this up as I went along, but it turned out pretty well.  I cleaned out my ice box veggie drawer and put some trimmed green beans, peeled and chopped sweet potatoes, thick sliced onions, three cloves of coarsely chopped garlic and one sad looking chopped zucchini in the bottom of my crockpot.  I salted and peppered a 4 pound organic chicken and put it on top of the veggies.  I knew I needed a little liquid to get things started, but I didn't want to use water.  The only other thing I had was some spicy tomato juice, so I used it.  Next time I will plan ahead and dump a beer or a cup or two of white wine in.

I put it on low this morning before breakfast.  By the time we got home to eat around 6pm, it was falling off the bone.  I served it on a trencher of homemade white bread- with extra juice.  Very tasty!

Comments

Popular Posts