Sometimes It's Good to be Weird...

I was going to title this post "Dinner When it's too Hot to Cook," but I decided I needed to give a little more background than that.

My love for food has been with me a long time. I don't remember a time when I wasn't aware of people in the kitchen, making wonderful things.

This life long love of food has given me eccentric tastes in food, and very peculiar shopping habits. And as a result of this weirdness, my icebox has a rather odd mix of things in it at any given time. I think this is a good thing. My husband sometimes doesn't agree. Although his objection isn't to the range of things. It's more a statement about the STATE of some of those things. I do tend to forget about the things that get pushed to the back. I have some interesting science experiments going on most days... :)

Oddness in my icebox brings me to tonight's dinner. There were 2 factors greatly influencing my choices for dinner: 1- it's hotter than blazes outside, and 2- Dev is at his parents' house, so I'm cooking for one.

I like to have sliced, toasted baguette slices on hand in my pantry. It's much cheaper than buying the toasts at the store, plus I can make them plain, or flavored if I want to. Plus, it's so easy, it seems silly to buy them. Slice the baguette, drizzle it with olive oil, flavor it if you want, then toast in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Let them cool and throw them in a ziplock bag til you need them.

I also picked up some marinated goat cheese at the Montrose Farmers' Market a few weeks ago. It's marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, fresh thyme and peppercorns.

As a result of a trip to the Nepal Restaurant earlier this week, I have roasted lamb pieces in a take out container, as well.

Another container has roasted roma tomatoes I made a few weeks ago- another nice thing to have on hand, and MUCH cheaper than buying sun dried tomatoes at the store.

So after perusing my icebox, I put this plate together:



There are two different bites here.

The first is a baguette slice with the marinated goat cheese, a slice of cold roasted lamb and a dab of mango chutney. It looks like this...



The second is a baguette slice with home made ricotta (seasoned with salt and pepper), a roasted roma tomato and a fresh basil leaf. Oh- and a drizzle of olive oil. It looks like this...



This was a delicious dinner. And one that would not have been possible had I not been so weird. So there. :)

Comments

Popular Posts