Tuna Poke

So one of my favorite appetizers at our favorite sushi restaurant (No Coast Sushi in Grand Junction, CO) is the tuna poke.  The last time we went there, I asked the sushi chef what was in it.  He told me, and I decided to try it myself.

I was at Whole Foods earlier today and they had a few odds and ends of sushi grade tuna.  I would never buy a whole pound, both because it's expensive, and because I'm really the only one in the house who'd eat it the way nature intended- raw!  But I was willing to spend $10 on the end piece of a fillet.


I brought it home and cut it in a small dice.  Then I marinated the pieces in a little shoyu (soy sauce), sesame oil (not too much because it is really strong flavored), a tiny amount of garlic powder a small handful of sesame seeds and about 4 Tbsp. of flash fried scallions (chopped scallions thrown into hot oil for about 45 seconds), and a few fresh chopped scallions.  I let that marinate in a bowl while I flash fried some won ton wrappers.  To serve it, I put about a tablespoon of tuna poke on a won ton chip.

It was wonderful! It tasted very close to the restaurant version.  I probably can't afford to do this very often- but it's nice to know I can do it if I want to!

Comments

Diane said…
Feel free to make it next time I come up!

Popular Posts