Keeping Up with the Garden

This is about the amount of stuff I get out of our garden every morning.

If I had a big family, I'd run through this stuff easily.  But I don't.

So it's about this time of year when I desperately comb Pinterest looking for ways to use summer squash and peppers.

So far I've been able to keep up.  I've been roasting the peppers and freezing them.  I've found enough summer squash recipes to keep my head above water.

I certainly don't want to sound as if I'm complaining.  After all, we plant the garden every year so we can get food out of it.  Sometimes it just seems so overwhelming to avoid wasting anything!

Our tomatoes aren't doing so hot this year.  I've gotten the handful of pear tomatoes you see in the picture, and our heirloom bushes have a few blooms on them.  Tomatoes seem to be the one veggie I don't mind having a ton of!  Last year I roasted and froze them, which means I had a great start on red sauces for the rest of the winter.

Every year we harvest, and every year we learn.  I really can't imagine not having a garden.  I know it would make life easier in several respects, but we'd miss out on the satisfaction of eating something we grew ourselves.

I think we'll keep plugging away at it!

Comments

Popular Posts