Quick Breakfast and Some Dietary Changes

In addition to always being on the look out for summer squash recipes, I'm also constantly searching for quick, easy breakfast ideas.

As much as I hate to face it, school will start very soon, which means my days of leisurely cups of hot tea and late breakfasts are over.

This summer I've been trying to cut back on the amount of gluten and dairy I eat.  I have had numerous conversations with my doctor, and although I'm not allergic to either one, the inflammatory reaction caused by both of those types of foods can make life unpleasant.  Some of the aches and pains I contribute to getting old, could be mild reactions to gluten and dairy.

Now I will tell you right up front, I won't give either up entirely.  There are just some things that need gluten and a healthy dose of cheese (macaroni and cheese, anyone?).  But if they aren't necessary to the quality of the meal, I am trying to avoid them.

So I've been experimenting with some gluten and dairy free products.  The one I tried on this particular morning was Udi's Gluten Free Bagels.  I toasted one and then put a little dairy free cream cheese on it.  Then I put thin slices of cucumber, capers and sliced smoked salmon on it.

Was this as good as a deli bagel with lox and cream cheese?  No.  Was it pretty good and slightly better for me?  Yes.  I think this will become part of my weekday breakfast rotation.

It beats the heck out of almond milk and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. :)

Comments

Popular Posts