Spicy Fried Quinoa

I love having this for dinner!  It's another clean out the ice box meal.

I made a batch of plan quinoa in my rice cooker (1 1/4 cups of quinoa and 2 1/4 cups of chicken broth/water).

I then used the same technique I use to make fried rice.  I stuck with leftover veggies for this, but if you wanted, you could put any kind of protein you wanted in it.

I usually don't include traditional recipe formats with my blog posts, but I'm going to give it a go here.

Spicy Fried Quinoa
Served 1

1 large egg
Coconut Oil- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon
Onion- half of one small, chopped
Garlic- one clove, minced
Thai Birds' Eye Chile- thinly sliced
Fresh Ginger- about 1 tablespoon, grated with a microplane grater
Corn- 1/4 cup (I used frozen white shoe peg corn)
Peas- 1/4 cup (I used frozen)
1 cup of cooked quinoa
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
Cashews- 1/4 cup (unsalted)
Sesame Seeds- 2 tablespoons
Cilantro- one handful, roughly chopped

Put an 8 inch non-stick skillet over medium heat, and toast the cashews and sesame seeds.  When they are fragrant, park them on the plate off which you plan to eat your dinner.  Put skillet back on the heat and add a teaspoon of coconut oil.  Lightly beat the egg, then scramble it in the skillet.  When it is done, add it to the plate with the cashews and sesame seeds.

Put the skillet back on the heat and add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil.  Add the onion, garlic, chile and ginger.  Allow the oil to come up to temp with the aromatics.  This builds a layer of flavor for your finished dish.

After about a minute, add the corn and peas and allow them to warm up.  Stir in the cooked quinoa and allow to heat for a few minutes.  Stir in the soy sauce, fish sauce, hoisin and sriracha.  When it is evenly distributed, stir in the cashews, sesame seeds and scrambled egg.

Put it on the plate and garnish with the fresh cilantro.





Comments

Popular Posts