Chai French Toast

This morning Devin and I had French Toast for breakfast. I don't make it often, and I'm not sure why.

I made a slightly different version because I've been wanting to experiment more with the flavors in Chai. A little while ago I purchased a jar of Chai Spice from King Arthur Flour, and I've been sneaking it into various recipes.

Here's what I did:

2 tbsp. Salted butter
3 eggs
1 tbsp. Chai Spice Mix
2-3 glugs of heavy cream
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Sugar
4 slices bread (I used sprouted sourdough)

Heat up your cast iron skillet over medium low heat (on my electric stove I put it on 6).  Let it heat up for a good 5 minutes or so.  While you're standing around waiting, go ahead and get some kind of shallow-sided container to make the egg mixture. I used my trusty Pyrex pie plate that's older than Moses. In the pie plate, mix the 3 eggs, cream, and spices. Whisk together well- until no disgusting slime trails off your whisk. Go ahead and add a piece of bread. Wait a few seconds and flip it over.

After the skillet gets hot, drop in the butter. It should sizzle and melt quickly. Put your first 1 or 2 pieces of dredged bread in and don't move them around. Let the cast iron work its magic. Go ahead and put the other 2 pieces in the egg mixture.

Flip the bread when the bottoms are nicely browned. If you're using regular bread, this won't take very long. If you're using thicker bread, I would soak them in the egg longer, cook them on one side, flip them, then finish them in the oven.

I served the toast with maple syrup and some clotted cream I picked up at World Market.

PS- there are no pictures on this post because Blogger is not playing well with my iPad Pro. Shame on you, Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts