Smoked Trout and Eggs


Some good friends of ours brought us some fish they had smoked earlier this week.  They gave us a whole smoked brown trout and a whole smoked Kokanee salmon.  I decided to use the trout first, since Devin doesn't really like salmon (I know- crazy, right?).

When I was little, I remember my parents occasionally eating salmon and grits.  I decided to riff on that a little and scramble some eggs and add the smoked trout.

Here's what I used:
I picked the bones out of the trout as best I could, but you never catch them all.  I also used some chopped scallions.  I used the white parts to saute before I added the eggs to the skillet, and I used the green parts as a garnish.  Next time, I will totally throw in some small cubes of cream cheese.

The process was simple.  I added some salted butter to a preheated skillet.  After it melted, I threw in the white part of the scallion and let it soften a bit.  Then I added 4 eggs whisked with salt and sriracha.  When the eggs began to set, I stirred them around.  Right before I sensed they were done, I threw in the smoked trout.  After distributing it in the egg mixture, I took it off the heat and garnished it with the scallion tops.  Like I said before- next time I will add cubed cream cheese when I add the trout.

This was simple and very good.  I spread my eggs on half a bagel- then added some sliced cucumber!

Comments

Popular Posts