Life after Grad School- Creativity!!!

 

I finished my master's degree almost a month ago.  I remember waking up the next morning thinking about all the amazing things I would do with all my free time!

What I actually did was sleep for the vast majority of the time for about a week.

Now that I'm experiencing what I think will be the new normal as far as free time, I have spent much more time in my craft room.  I have even committed to making monthly cards for the teachers I support and my husband's team of first grade teachers, as well as the team I work with of district level coaches.  In total, I've committed to creating around 20 cards each month.

In addition to the monthly cards, I would like to bulk up my stock of birthday and all occasion cards.  It seems like I'm always having to stop by and pick up a card to put with a treat I'm leaving with someone.

I still am not very good at designing my own cards.  I spend time on Youtube and Instagram looking for inspiration cards, then I just copy them- making substitutions for things I don't already have.

This card is a good example of that.  I had the exact stamp set I needed, but I didn't have the same paper that the original designer used.  I do, however, have an embarrassingly large stash of paper, so I went through it and found some bright, cheery paper I though would go nicely with the overall idea of the card.  This particular card was for the birthday of one of my husband's team mates.  

Just yesterday I finished the 20 cards I needed for September.  Here's the inspiration card I found on Christina Riley's Youtube channel...


I loved her watercolored background and the overall color scheme of the whole card.  Here's my version...

My watercoloring skills are much less developed than Christine's, but I really love the way the cards turned out.  

For this card I used the following supplies:
Spice Market  65lb. card stock for the A2 card blank and the border/tree die cut from Michael's
Canson watercolor paper pad for the background- also from Michael's
Jump for Joy stamp set from Lawn Fawn
Watercolor pens from Arteza
Copic Markers from Blick Art Supplies
iCraft XL tape runner from Brutus Monroe




Comments

Popular Posts