Raspberry Cheesecake French Toast

Necessity is the mother of invention.  Everyone knows this.  I think the best meals I make are the ones that don't follow recipes- I just use up what I have left on hand.

This breakfast was one of those things.  I had about a quarter of a loaf of wheat french bread left after dinner Thursday night, and I needed to use it up.  French toast immediately came to mind as I was lying in my bed this morning.

There really isn't a recipe.  I cut 2 really thick sliced of bread, then used the bread knife to cut a slit in each piece.

In a small bowl I mixed the last quarter cup or so of whipped cream cheese out of the tub and mixed it with a few tablespoons of raspberry jam and about 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar.  I put as much of the cream cheese mixture in the pocket of the toasts as I could, then dunked the bread in a combination of 2 eggs, a splash of heavy cream, a pinch of nutmeg, a pinch of cinnamon and a dash of kosher salt.  I preheated a cast iron skillet, put a tablespoon of butter in, then when the butter melted, cooked both sides of the pieces of french toast.

While the toast was cooking, I took the little bit of jam left in the bottom of the jar and microwaved it.  When the toast was done, I drizzled the raspberry jam/sauce over the top.

This did not suck.

Comments

Popular Posts