Rosemary Beer Bread with Gouda

When I first started collecting recipes on the interwebz- you know, back before Pinterest, I had a bad habit of copying and pasting recipes and forgetting to attach the website address to the document.  Because of this lazy habit, I have quite a few recipes that I can't credit to the right people.

This bread recipe is one of those.  It's in the oven right now and is making my house smell beyond wonderful.  If anyone recognizes this recipe and knows whose it is, please leave a comment so I can give credit where it is so rightly due.

I added about 2 cups of hickory smoked gouda cheese to the dry ingredients.  Dev loves smoked gouda, and I had a huge piece in the ice box.  I also reduced the sugar to 1/8 cup, because I wanted this to be more of a savory bread to use for leftover ham later this week.  I also upped the rosemary to 2 teaspoons (I was using dry) because I have a big bag of dried rosemary that I need to use up. I ground the rosemary a little in my spice grinder so it would be easier to incorporate into the dough.  I can hear my husband saying, "Why do you bother to look at recipes when you always haul off and do your own thing anyway?"  I guess it's a good thing I don't listen very often, huh?

Here's the recipe for Rosemary Beer Bread-


3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp coarse salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped, or 1 tsp dry
1 12oz. can of beer 
1/3 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all dry ingredients together in large bowl.  Add beer and stir well to incorporate.  Batter is quite thick. Pour/press into greased LARGE loaf pan, or an 8x8 inch baking dish.  Pour melted butter over batter.  Run a knife around edges so the butter runs down sides. Place in the middle of your oven and bake for about 50 minutes if using loaf pan, and about 30 minutes if using 8 inch square.  If butter runs over, place aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and place this on the rack beneath your bread.  Let bread cool for about 15 minutes, then run knife around edges and remove from pan.  Serve warm. 

Update:  I took this out of the oven, and I swear half the loaf was gone within 20 minutes.  Only Dev and I are here.... oops.

Comments

Popular Posts