Skillet American Chop Suey

This is one of those dishes everybody ate as a kid- or at least some version of it, anyway.  There are as many variations as there are home cooks.  I've never used a recipe to make it, as I'm sure my mother didn't.  It was a way to use up odds and ends in the fridge and get dinner on the table in about 20 minutes.

So this version started with a large onion, and a clove of garlic, chopped.  I also added about 5 sliced mushrooms (they were getting very close to science project status in the crisper drawer), and some red pepper flakes.  Once that got started, I threw in a pound of ground hamburger and let it all cook until the meat was no longer pink.  At that point, I poured in what was left of a bottle of red wine.  If I had to guess, I'd say maybe a cup.  I let that cook over medium heat while I put the egg noodles on to boil.

While the noodles were cooking, I added a can of crushed tomatoes and about a cup of leftover marinara sauce to the pan. I checked for seasoning and added a little salt.  After the sauce had tightened up a little, I added the now-cooked egg noodles and mixed it all up.  I topped it with sliced of fresh mozzarella, then put the whole skillet under the broiler to melt the cheese.

I served it with some grated parmesan cheese.

Comments

Popular Posts