Veggie Tortilla Soup

I needed a quick dinner.  I had not planned ahead.  This is nothing out of the ordinary.  But now that the weather is getting cooler,  I have the perfect excuse to throw together some soup!

I started with some olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.  I added half a large chopped onion and one clove of minced fresh garlic.  When that was soft, I added 2 corn tortillas I had cut into small squares (this acts as a thickener and adds some corn flavor).  I added 2 handfuls of kale out of the garden.  I poured in a few glugs of Will's beer to help the kale wilt, and let it cook down for about 5 minutes.

After that, I added a can of diced tomatoes and about 2 cups of chicken stock.  I threw in some toasted and ground cumin, ground chile arbol and some chile powder.  I let it simmer about 10 more minutes.  Lastly, I threw in a few handfuls of frozen white corn.  It hung out and simmered another 5 minutes.

I served it with a dollop of Greek yogurt and diced yellow tomatoes from the garden.  On the side we had the last of the chicken cheddar muffins.

Not bad for a Tuesday afternoon!

Comments

Popular Posts