Bananas Foster French Toast

This was really good.  And it wasn't all that difficult.  But I can assure you it will be added to our weekend breakfast rotation.

A few weeks ago, we went to my favorite new restaurant in Glenwood Springs, Smoke.  We went on a Saturday, so they were serving brunch.  Devin ordered the bananas foster french toast.  He has a wicked sweet tooth, and this played right into it.

When I tasted it, I knew I could recreate it at home, I just needed to do a little research.  I went to Pinterest and searched "bananas foster french toast."  I saw lots of recipes, but none of the pictures really grabbed me.  So, I took off the french toast part of the search.  Low and behold, I found a pin I really liked, and it was from an old favorite- Pioneer Woman.  She had the recipe for bananas foster, which she intended to serve over ice cream.

Fast forward to this morning.  I purchased a loaf of soft French bread (because I can't get challah in my little dinky town) and decided to try my luck.

For the french toast part, I sliced the bread on the diagonal (fairly thick).  Then I beat 4 eggs with a splash of heavy cream and milk, then added some vanilla bean paste for good measure.  I soaked the bread slices in the custard mixture, then griddled them in my 12 inch cast iron skillet.  I put them in my oven on warm, then set about making the bananas foster part.

I used the recipe straight from the Pioneer Woman blog.  I didn't have enough rum, so I just used what I had.  It made the flaming part rather disappointing, but it still tasted amazing.

And I do plan to make some vanilla ice cream, because I have about 2 cups of the sauce left, and I'm not about to let it go to waste!

Comments

Popular Posts