Pear Jam with Chocolate

I have found I really enjoy small batch canning.  I don't have the room (or the budget) for large batches of things- plus I get tired of things before I finish a huge jar.

A while back a purchased a book entitled Preserving By the Pint by Marisa McClellan.  When it arrived, I immediately read through it and marked this recipe.

I bought pears at the store this week specifically to use in this recipe.

I was a bit disappointed with the finished product.  The chocolate flavor was not present enough, and the pears were still too structured for me.  When I was reflecting over the process of making it, I decided that I would give it another try, substituting real chocolate for the cocoa powder called for in the book, and adding cinnamon.  I also thought it would be better if I used an immersion blender to break the fruit up a little better.

Imagine my surprise, when I was looking to see if the recipe was published on the internet, (I always check, because if I got the recipe from a book, I don't want to publish it without the author's consent.  If I find it already out there, I feel comfortable doing it myself.) and I found another version of the recipe, published by Marisa, using the changes I had decided to use next time I make it.  So, I'm going to link you to her website, "Food in Jars," to find the recipe.

I can't wait to try this again, but I feel like I need to use up the two little jars I made this time around, before I make more.

Comments

Popular Posts