Friends

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that today was, at times, a very pensive, thoughtful kind of day. Most of the students I work with are too young to know the true significance of this date. I suppose most of the adults were doing their best to encapsulate and summarize something that is impossible to describe.

For me, there were times when I sat and thought about things I am truly thankful for- and there are many.

A few weeks ago, while we were unpacking boxes and trying to re-assemble our lives here in Rifle, I came across a file folder of emails I had printed and saved. Most of them ended up in the trash can (jokes and funny pictures, etc). But one was saved and came to mind again today.

On April 17, 1998, Di sent me this email....

"I went to the shore alone and I sat and watched and thought and became aware of my solitude.

I went to the shore with my lover and we sat and watched and played and swam and I became aware of sharing.

I went to the shore with my friend and we sat and watched without speaking and I became aware of trust."

I don't know where she found this, perhaps she even wrote it. But one of the things I am the most truly thankful for is having someone in my life who not only understands this, but who knows that I understand it, too.

Today, I am thankful for Di. What are you thankful for??

Comments

Diane said…
Aww - thanks Mimi! I am thankful for you too!

Popular Posts