shrimp korma


shrimp korma, originally uploaded by All Things Mimi.

My, my, my....how far the mighty have fallen.

When I used to have lots of spare time, I wrote often about how evil pre-packaged foods were. I categorically snubbed my nose at any and all short cuts involved in getting dinner on the table.

Well, now I don't have any free time. And I'm having to eat a lot of crow. I can't tell you how many times a can of soup has been the quickest route between starvation and dinner before 10pm at our house over the last month and a half.

I found a simmer sauce today that has changed my whole view of jar sauces.

Dev and I drove to Aspen today to check the place out and get a little fresh air.

On the way back, we made our customary stop in Glenwood Springs to get a few groceries. I have become very fond of the Vitamin Cottage- Natural Grocers store in Glenwood. I usually stock up on my favorite fig flavored yogurt there, as well as natural hair and skin care products.

I have been craving Indian food for the last couple of weeks, but, of course, we don't have an Indian restaurant here in Rifle. Whilst roaming the aisles of the Natural Grocers, looking for a simple curry sauce to throw some shrimp in when we got home, a jar of Seeds of Change Korma Simmering Sauce caught my eye. I picked it up, brought it home, and fell in love.






I put a pot of rice on, then while it cooked I sauteed some green peppers, onions and mushrooms in a large non stick skillet. By the time the rice was done, I had thawed about a half of pound of shrimp and threw them in the skillet with the veggies, spooned on about 5 big spoons of the korma sauce, and let it simmer on the stove top about 5 minutes.

I served it over simple white rice. It was outrageously good. I don't think there will ever be a time when I don't have at least 1 jar of this around.

I've made korma from scratch, and this jarred version is very, very close. I highly recommend you go pick up a jar and try it yourself. You can use any protein you want. I can't wait to try pan fried tofu!

Comments

Sammie said…
I will keep an eye out for this sauce. We were in Taos today shopping at Cids Organic Market - I wish I had read your blog before we went as they might have had it!

Sammie

Popular Posts