Is It Friday Yet??

Some weeks are tough. But some weeks are even tougher.

This has been a tough week.

I lost a student. One of my 8th graders was killed in a car accident last Thursday. Even typing it doesn't feel right. It bounces around inside my brain and refuses to settle down.

Morgan was such a wonderful boy. He was sweet and always smiling. I never heard him say anything mean to any of his classmates, in spite of the fact that some of them treated him like dirt. He never once acted cool, but then again, he never worried about being cool. He was Morgan. He was extremely tall, and liked it that way. Everyone else was "shortie."

As a teacher, you see kids come and go every year. You never really think about something happening to one of them. But this is the second student I've lost since I started teaching in Colorado. Last year I lost a first grader to an ATV accident. It takes the wind out of your sails. It is exhausting to worry about what effect it will have on your other students. Will you be able to support them? Will you be able to concentrate and teach them anything?

I've been looking around for signs of spring, trying to pull myself out of the funk I'm in. I'll post some of the pics I took in the yard over the weekend later this week. By then, maybe my new toy (the MacBook Pro I bought with my tax refund) will be here and I can inaugurate it with a blog post.

Comments

Carrie said…
I'm SO sorry to hear about your loss Mimi. That is SO difficult for everyone involved. We will be thinking of you.
Mimi said…
Thanks, Carrie. It has indeed been a very difficult few weeks.
Sammie said…
I'm really sorry to hear that Mimi, it is always so sad when a young life is lost in an accident. I'll always remember how totally dreadful it was when the boy that sat in front of me in history class in the 11th grade was killed in an accident. That was almost 40 years ago and the feeling of horror still comes back every time I think of it. I hope all the school is coping with it.

Popular Posts