Cream Cheese Stuffed, Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos



These are so good, they're sinful. And addictive. And rich. And easy. And relatively quick.

A couple of weeks ago, Dev and I went to a covered dish supper for the last night of our Spanish class. One of the many wonderful dishes there was a tray of stuffed, roasted jalapenos. They were whole jalapenos, somehow hollowed out, with cream cheese piped in, and wrapped in bacon, then roasted.

They were heavenly! The pepper itself was soft and sweet, the bacon done, but not too crispy, and the creamy filling was warm and gooey. I knew then that I had to make them for myself.

I had 6 jalapenos laying around in my produce basket. I couldn't figure out how to hollow them out so they could be whole, so I halved them. Then I took out the seeds and membranes. I decided since I could cut the cream cheese into sticks while it was still cold, not to soften it. This is good, because this time of year, room temperature in my kitchen isn't nearly warm enough to soften anything! So I cut 12 short sticks of cream cheese and laid the pieces in the pepper halves. Then I cut 6 pieces of bacon in half, and wrapped a half piece around each stuffed pepper. Then I secured the little bundle with a toothpick. They baked at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. Larger peppers with more cheese might take longer.

I don't have the words to describe how good these were. There was just a hint of heat from what little membrane I left in the peppers. If you like spicier things, just remove the seeds and leave the membranes. The peppers get soft and sweet from the slow roasting. And cream cheese is cream cheese- you can't go wrong there.

Please make these for yourself! I promise you won't regret it.

Comments

Popular Posts