Chilaquiles- I can cook it better than I can spell it.

So I love things like this for breakfast. Not only does it satisfy my savory breakfast craving, but it also allows me to clean up bits and pieces of herbs and such out of my ice box.

You can totally skip the made from scratch part and do this with your favorite jar of salsa.  I just had part of a can of tomatoes and part of a can of chipotle peppers open, so I needed to use them up.

I started with the chilaquiles/sauce part.  I had half of a white onion lingering around, so I chopped that up and threw it in my most favorite cast iron skillet with probably 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings (full disclosure- the bacon grease was left in the skillet from breakfast yesterday- my husband swears he will die from food poisoning).  The drippings were especially good because I had cooked thick cut peppered bacon.  So I got a little bump draft of spice in there!

After the onions were nice and soft, I threw in some dried oregano.  I always use Mexican oregano, because I think it has a stronger flavor.  If you are using dried, make sure you rub it between your palms as you add it to the skillet.  This crushes it and releases more flavor.  Then I minced a clove of garlic and threw it in as well.  I had the heat on medium-  watch the garlic, because you don't want it to burn.  Keep it moving around in the pan.  After 30 seconds or so (you will smell the garlic when it gets warm) I added one chopped chipotle pepper with adobo sauce.

Now a word of warning about chipotle.  I like spicy food.  A whole chipotle makes this fairly spicy.  If you don't like spicy food, leave it out or use half.  I kind of spread the chile around in the onion/garlic mixture.  This helps add to the flavor base for the sauce.  After about 2 minutes, I put in one can of diced, fire roasted tomatoes (drained- but liquid reserved) and another good pinch of dried oregano.

Now it gets fun.  I threw in about 4 handfuls of tortilla chips.  Right out of the bag.  If you wanted to be really ambitious, you could fry some corn tortillas ahead of time.  I'm not generally that ambitious.  I stirred the chips around in the mixture, trying to coat them as best I could.  Don't get wrapped around the axle if you don't do this perfectly.  I also added the juice from the tomatoes over the chips.  After you move it around for a while, cut the heat back and leave it alone.  You want the chips on the bottom to start soaking up all that sauce.

Now turn your attention to the eggs.  My husband refuses to eat eggs any way other than scrambled, so I scrambled 3 eggs for him.  I prefer my eggs fried, over easy.

To serve this, I spooned half the chips/sauce mixture on one plate and added the scrambled eggs.  I garnished with a liberal amount of roughly chopped cilantro.  I did the same with my plate, but I topped mine off with my fried egg.

Possible sides could be sliced avocado or sliced tomato.  If you need something to cool some of the heat, garnish with some sour cream.

This makes a very hearty, stick to your ribs kind of breakfast- perfect for a lazy summer Saturday!

Comments

Popular Posts