The BBQ from Hell...



I am pleased to announce that I have survived what I consider to be a major life test.


As part of my job as convention and group tours manager, I was assigned the planning of a BBQ for 500 firefighters. I'm sure there are people in the world who wouldn't bat an eyelash at such an assignment. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people.


The funding for this event was always a little on the squishy side, so from the get go I wasn't sure what kind of a budget I had to work with. Add to that the fact that I've NEVER PLANNED AN EVENT IN MY LIFE other than having friends over to watch a baseball game- I think you are starting to get the picture.


I did not get a decent night's sleep for the month leading up to this BBQ. The inevitable thermo-nuclear meltdown occured the day before the event, when someone who was genuinely trying to help me because I was in over my head asked if the electrician should run 110 or 220 volt electricity to the soccer field. After loudly announcing I had no idea, I hung up the phone and then burst into tears. Needless to say, Dev got the short end of the stick, like he always does. He just stood there and watched while I slowly sniffed and whimpered my way back to sanity.


After all the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, the event went just fine. Other than a few scares with the weather (including gale force winds and a pretty sharp temperature drop), every one ate and laughed and had a good time.


My friend Tonya was there to help out, just like she always is. Even though I didn't have a lot of stuff for her to do, she was there for moral support, which is always nice. I hope she knows I am willing to do the same for her when she needs me to.


I have posted a few pics of the event here. I have others on my flickr page.


I'm just glad the dirn thing is over!


Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm glad to have given moral support, but don't really feel like I offered much help! More like... a leach in the BBQ line :P

Popular Posts