Weekend Trip

This weekend, Dev and took off for Colorado Springs. It was a really good trip, allergies not withstanding...

We left Saturday morning after a breakfast of home-made buttermilk pancakes. We got to our destination around 12:30ish. After driving around for a little while, we decided to stop for lunch at Tomo Sushi on Academy Boulevard. I hadn't had real sushi in a long time (like since I left Savannah), so it was incredible! I had salmon and unagi nigiri, one tempura roll with avacado, crab cream cheese and a roll with crab and asparagus. Dev had some kind of bento box.

After lunch we wandered around town and went to the REI store (where I purchased my first Nalgene water bottle), Barnes and Noble, Borders, Whole Foods (where I purchased Spanish chocolate, parmesan/rosemary crackers, mushroom brie, real maple syrup and some Thai mixes), Target (where I purchased allergy medicine), the Citadel Mall (where I purchased some Clarins powder), Sam's Club (where I purchased 2 pairs of eye glasses), and Jared Jewelers.

We had dinner at a place called the Phantom Canyon Brewing Company. I have to say it was one of the best dinners out I've ever had, and that's saying something. For starters, Dev and I split a bowl of smoked gouda/ale soup. It was so creamy and cheesy! Dev ordered the special, which was flank steak with some sort of fruit barbecue sauce, garlic mashed potatoes with bleu cheese and perfectly cooked fresh green beans. I ordered the wild mushroom vegetable pot pie. It was perfect! There were tons of mushrooms in it- very few peas, carrots and potatoes. The sauce had a hint of wine and was the perfect consistency...and the crust was a wonderful multi-grain pie crust (double crust I might add). Dinner was so good we forgot to save room for dessert!

The next morning we got up and tracked down some breakfast, then drove out to the Garden of the Gods. It was really beautiful, but I have to say I was disappointed that we were able to drive through it. It takes something away from the natural beauty of the place when you are looking at it from inside a car, in a line of bumper to bumper traffic. The best way to see the place would be to dress and pack for hiking and leave the car in the visitors center parking lot.

After that we went to a place called Rock Ledge Ranch. It is a living history center. I know I'd get it wrong if I tried to accurately describe what it represents. But it is a great place to visit, with lots of hands on stuff, and plenty of knowledgeable staff around to answer questions.

I have posted a few pics here, but the rest are on my flickr page.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like a fun weekend! Don't you love REI?
Anonymous said…
I'm jealous that you went to REI - I miss it. I agree that it would be nice to hike around the Garden of the Gods. Driving sucks!

BTW - I love your new sandals :)

Popular Posts