I Survived!!

Holy Cow what a week!!

I think I am really going to enjoy my job with the little crappers. I end the day dead tired, but everyday I see or hear something that makes me laugh, and that's a good thing.

It seems like I have lived the last 6 months of my life waiting for this thing or that thing to be over before I can be happy. To my credit, I have made some decisions and acted on them to improve things, but as usual, I find myself wishing for RPD to be over so I just have one job. It's not that I don't like the people I'm working with for RPD. It's more like I don't have the energy to do both things well. Luckily, RPD happens next weekend, so the end is in sight. There is another smaller event in October, but nothing like what we've pulled off so far.

To briefly recap my first week in little crapper land, I will offer the following advice and/or commentary:

1- NEVER drink out of a water fountain in an elementary school. I have watched 100's of little kids french kiss the entire metal part of the fountain and suck the water out of the thing.

2- If a little kid comes running up to you and tells you to close your eyes and hold out your hand- DON'T DO IT! You should just drag the kid to the office and get it over with. I can almost guarantee you whatever is in his grubby little hand will be alive and it will jump on you.

3- School lunch is just as awful as you remember it being. Do not be tempted to be nostalgic and give the "beefaroni" a try. You will regret it- for several hours.

4- Old people are not designed to get in and out of kindergartener-sized chairs (gracefully).

5- Do not engage a 5 year old in a culinary debate about the nutritional value of green goldfish crackers. He doesn't care.

6- "Wubbleyou" is, in fact, a letter in the kindergarten alphabet.

7- Never underestimate the value of Spongebob dixie cups on the kindergarten black market.

8- Don't be the mom who sends cream cheese stuffed celery to school when it's your turn to provide snack. Not only is it a complete waste of time and money, but your child will be ostracized for the rest of his/her natural life. AND your kid will get beat up by the kid whose mom brought Little Debbie Cakes.

That about sums up the first week. Dev and I are headed to Pueblo tomorrow so I can buy some school clothes, so I'll write more Sunday afternoon- if I don't sleep all day.... :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
hehe!
Anonymous said…
I teach college kids and this is sage advice for that teaching that age kid as well; I might add "Never ask a question you don't really want an answer to."
Anonymous said…
Gooooood times!
willy said…
You will do great. Dad Allen

Popular Posts