Chicken Pot Pie!

Tonight my friend Kari came over for dinner.  She is my tech-yoda, and we have a great system set up where I feed her and she helps me stay up with the latest and greatest in technology.  I decided to make chicken pot pie tonight, because I saw a really cool looking pastry crust recipe I wanted to try, and chicken pot pie is one of the best crust-related dishes I know.

I found the crust recipe at Closet Cooking.  Here's a link to the recipe.  I followed the instructions exactly, and it came out beautifully.

For the filling, I totally winged it.  It was one of those ice box cleaner-outer kinda things.  I started by poaching 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs in white wine, chicken stock and water.  I strained the broth out and saved it to make the sauce.  I put the chicken on a plate in the ice box to cool so I could chop it.  I used the same pot and heated a few tablespoons of olive oil.  I dropped half a chopped white onion, some diced carrot, and some diced new potatoes in.  I seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper, as well as a pinch of poultry seasoning.   After about 10 minutes, I added 2 tablespoons of butter and let it melt.   Then I stirred in about 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour.  I let that cook a few minutes and added about a cup and a half of the chicken broth I saved from poaching the meat.  I stirred constantly and brought it up to a bubble.  It thickened nicely.  Next I added about half a bag of frozen peas, about 1/2 a cup of heavy cream, and tasted to adjust the seasoning.  By this time the sauce was really thick.  I took the chicken out of the ice box and cut it in a rough dice.  I stirred it into the sauce.

The pastry recipe made 2 crusts, so I put the first in the bottom of my pyrex pie dish.  I filled it with the chicken mixture, and put the other crust on top.  I cut some vents in it, painted some egg wash on it, stuck it on a cookie sheet, and baked it at 375 for about 30 or 40 minutes.

Although it didn't come out of the pie dish in one piece, it was delicious!

Comments

Popular Posts