Parmesan Vermouth Risotto with Sautéed Shrimp


I love risotto.  I mean I really love it.  I'm not quite ready to say it has replaced macaroni and cheese, but it's a really close second.  Right now, everyone is running around making versions of risotto with things like quinoa, faro and other grains.  I have tried some of those versions.  I don't like them.  In my opinion, arborio rice is the only ingredient that imparts that creamy, toothy texture that is such a part of the risotto experience.

My favorite kind of risotto is made with butter, vermouth and obscene amounts of grated parmesan cheese.  And I mean the real cheese, not some imposter.  Real parmesan is so worth the money.  It's pricey, but it lasts a while and the flavor is impossible to match. 

I have posted this recipe before- here's the link.  Over the years, I've cut the amount of butter back by quite a  bit.  It started out as 2/3 of a cup.  Now I use more like 2 tablespoons.  I also add another 2 tablespoons at the very end before serving.  

When I made it this time, I decided to add some garlicky sautéed  shrimp on top.  This was not a bad idea.  I just peeled and rinsed the shrimp, then sautéed them in a small skillet with a clove of minced garlic, salt, pepper and butter.  I put the shrimp and yummy butter on each bowl of risotto.

This was so good.  And it was insane the next day, after the flavors had a chance to fester overnight.

Comments

Popular Posts