Roasted Tomato Caprese Salad


This was a really good caprese salad.  I had been craving it for a while, but here in Colorado, we are still months away from sweet, ripe, yard tomatoes.  Instead of doing without, I decided to use a grocery store tomato, but roast it to develop more flavor and sweetness.

First I sliced a couple of regular tomatoes pretty thickly.  I put them on parchment paper and sprinkled them with olive oil, salt, freshly ground black pepper and a small amount of balsamic vinegar.  Into a 450 degree oven they went.  I think they probably roasted about 15 to 20 minutes.  

I left them alone to cool while I sliced the fresh mozzarella.  I alternated the slices of tomato and cheese, then drizzled them with olive oil and some Italian herbs (basil, oregano and chile flakes).

I think I may like this version better than the fresh tomato version.  Which means I can have this amazing salad any time of the year!


Comments

Popular Posts