Gorgonzola Walnut Scones

These turned out to be amazing!  I pinned this recipe months ago, waiting for an opportunity to play with the ingredients.

A few months back, I posted about my efforts to eat down the contents of my pantry.  I pinned this recipe because I thought it might be a good candidate for some flour swapping.  Turns out I was right!

I used this recipe, with one major alteration.  It calls for 3 cups of all-purpose flour.  I substituted one cup of the AP flour for buckwheat flour.  As a result, while I was making the dough, I had to add a tad bit more milk to get it to come together.  The other detour I made from the original recipe was to slather the individual scones in melted butter before they hit the oven.  Very good call.

I felt like this recipe would benefit from the buckwheat flour because of the strong flavor of the gorgonzola cheese.  Buckwheat flour has a fairly assertive flavor profile that can overwhelm other ingredients in a recipe.  It would take quite a bit to overwhelm the flavor of bleu cheese, so I figured it would work well.

The resulting scones were crispy on the outside and soft and buttery on the inside.  The buckwheat flour plays very nicely with the walnuts and the bleu cheese.

When they came out of the oven, I added a bit more butter to the one I immediately ate.  Oh- and I also drizzled it with some honey.  So good!

Comments

Popular Posts