The World's Easiest Hot Chocolate

This also happens to be the best hot chocolate I've ever made!

Hot chocolate is another topic subject to wildly different opinions.  Most of us reach for the stuff in the packets from the grocery store when we want a cup.  What could be easier?  Tear off top of packet, pour in mug of hot water, and stir.

I have never liked packet hot chocolate made with water.  It is always missing something.  Before today, I would improve on the packets slightly by making it with hot milk instead of water.  I've tried it with regular milk and almond milk- both are pretty good.

But today I tried an idea I saw on Pinterest.  It was insanely easy, and I'll never make hot chocolate a different way again!

Most people I know keep a bag of chocolate chips hidden somewhere in their kitchens.  I keep my stash in the freezer.  My brand of choice is Ghirardelli.  Hershey chocolate chips are no longer good enough.  I know there are people who swear by Hershey's- for chocolate chips and cocoa powder.  But honestly, I've done a lot of baking, and I prefer Ghirardelli.  Its flavor is much more complex and deep.  

So are you ready to make the easiest hot chocolate ever?  

Grab a mug.  Throw a handful of chocolate chips in the bottom.  Fill the mug with milk (whatever kind on which you groove).  Nuke for 1 minute, 20 seconds.  Stir. If your chips aren't all the way melted yet, nuke about 15 seconds more.  Drink.  

Optional (but delicious) embellishments:  Nuke it the last 30 seconds or so with a marshmallow on the top.  After nuking it, add a shot or two of your favorite "adult beverage."   After topping it with a marshmallow, use your husband's acetylene torch to toast the marshmallow. I may nor may not have done all of these things to the same mug of hot chocolate.  :)



Comments

Popular Posts