Quinoa Bake



One of my new favorite foods is quinoa. I have found I can substitute it in any dish that calls for rice or couscous.

And completely out of character for me, I like this AND it's actually better for me.

So anyhoo- I found this recipe somewhere (don't remember where) and wrote it down on a scrap of paper. I finally got around to making it for dinner day before yesterday. It contains 2 of Dev's least favorite things- pinto beans and cottage cheese. However, he went back for seconds, so it can't be that bad....

Quinoa Bake

1 1/3 c. chicken stock
2/3 c. quinoa, rinsed
1 c. shredded carrots
1/2 c. sliced green onions
1/2 t. coriander
1/4 t. salt
dash hot sauce
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. cottage cheese
1 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

In a large saucepan combine stock, quinoa, carrots, green onions, coriander, salt and hot sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
Stir in pinto beans, cottage cheese, yogurt and parsley. Spoon into lightly greased baking dish and bake uncovered for 25 minutes on 350 degrees. Sprinkle cheese and back another 5 minutes or so.

It really was good, and pretty good for you. The pic doesn't do it justice.

This recipe will most definitely go into the regular rotation!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think I may try this with black beans - I'll let you know what I think :) Di

Popular Posts