I love my crockpot!



Tuesday didn't begin with much flair (or should that be flare?). I could not drag myself out of bed, and after getting ready for work it dawned on me that I didn't have a clue what we were going to have for dinner- which isn't good because I get home from work after 4, and Dev has to be in class at 5:30.

What to do?

Get out the crock pot- that's what.

I sliced half a white onion and threw it in the bottom of the crockpot with half a package of fresh sliced mushrooms. I threw 2 bone in chicken thighs on top, then poured about a cup of white wine and a can of low sodium cream of chicken soup all over it. I set it to low and ran out the door.

When I got home, I diced 3 large red potatoes and sloshed them in a pot with water to cover and 2 coarsely sliced cloves of garlic. After simmering them for 15 minutes, I drained them and added some plain yogurt, about 3 oz of cream cheese, salt and some fresh cracked black pepper. I smashed all of it together til it was lumpy.

Then I nuked some frozen early peas with a little butter and some salt.

Now- let me say this was a dirn good dinner- better than some of the ones I've planned out and actually worked on all day.

I know what you're thinking...."Canned soup- how drole." And I know where you're coming from. Had this been a weekend, I might have drained the juice from the chicken and thickened it with flour and butter and made a respectable pan sauce. But during the week that just isn't an option. And really, with the wine thrown in there, it's hard to tell that it's canned soup.

I will be doing this again- soon.

Comments

Janine said…
I couldn't get by wihtout my crockpot. With hectice schedule it porvides a way to to still get a homecooked meal in.

www.cheapcookinmama.blogspot.com

Popular Posts