Homesickness

I suppose there are dozens of good reasons for me to be homesick right now: the holidays, time off from school, snow on the ground, bone chilling cold, etc. But whatever the reason, I am truly homesick. Maybe I should say I'm "Southsick."

I could go on forever about the differences (geographically and culturally) between my adopted home here in Colorado and my actual, soul home in the South. But as many of my old friends will agree, it really comes down to a state of mind.

I have tried several things to combat this intense homesickness I feel. I tried making a batch of home made pimento cheese- that should have instantly made me feel better- but it didn't. I played some Johnny Mercer on my laptop- that made it so much worse. I texted my friends who still live there, hoping to be cheered by some contact with them- but it's just no use. I'm in a funk.

The only thing that seems to make me feel any better is thinking about our road trip home this summer. Finally we will be driving instead of flying...so I can bring more stuff back with me. Perhaps if I transplant some of my favorite things about home to here, they'll take root and help me survive the painful separation! I suppose I should start making my list of must-haves.....

Comments

Diane said…
Well you know how much we all miss you terribly too...not the same without you here.
Sammie said…
Hi Mimi,

Hopefully, someday, Colorado WILL be "home" to you. Then you will be happy right where you are. It's probably a lot harder to change that "home" feeling when you are from the south.

I was born and raised in Montana but the San Luis Valley has been my true home now for 30 years.

Sammie
Mary said…
Once you see your family, you'll be fine. I'm from Hawaii, but my husband is from PA. He missed home so much, we decided to go to PA this winter and it really made a difference. Visit home whenever you can and try to make the most of Colorado too. Hope you have a nice road trip to the South!

Popular Posts