Chocolate Ganache Covered Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes

See what I mean about the naming thing?  Isn't that ridiculous?

First, I want to come right out of the shoot and admit that I cheated big time on this one.  Big time.  I used a chocolate cake mix.  I know.  I feel the shame being heaped upon me by the food blogging world.  I'm sorry.  Baking isn't really my thing, although I do get the bug to try it from time to time.  Moving up to this altitude hasn't helped matters at all, either.  My first from-scratch cake experiment after moving to Colorado was a disaster of biblical proportions.  It turned out like a big, steamy pan of chocolate soup.

I had been reading blogs and came across someone's post on black bottom cupcakes.  My Momma used to make those for my sister and I when we were kids, and I love them.  I can't remember the last time I had one.  So I decided to whip up a batch.  As usual, I couldn't remember which blog I saw the post on, and I hadn't bookmarked it, so I searched on allrecipes.com.  I found a decent recipe and set out to make some memories!

The recipe made the chocolate cupcake part from scratch.  I was too lazy to do that.  So I frankensteined the rest of the recipe together, using a devil's food chocolate cake mix I had in the pantry.

Here's what I did:

I took an 8 ounce block of cream cheese out of the ice box and let it sit on the oven while it preheated to 350 degrees.

Meanwhile, I mixed the chocolate cake mix according to the directions on the package.  I put paper liners in 3 muffin tins, totaling 24 cupcakes.  I filled the tins about half full.

I then mixed the softened cream cheese with 1/3 cup of extra fine white sugar and about a teaspoon of vanilla.  I folded in about a cup of chocolate chips.

I used a big spoon and put a dollop of the cheese cake mixture in the middle of each of the cake mix filled cups.

They baked for about 25 minutes in my oven.  I switched them around about 15 minutes through the process.

I cooled them in the pans about 5 minutes before dumping them out onto a cooling rack.  They must cool completely before dipping them in the ganache.

While they were cooling I melted about 3/4 of a bag of semi sweet chocolate chips in a double boiler with a splash of half and half and a tablespoon of espresso powder.  After the cupcakes were completely cool, I dipped the tops in the ganache and put them back on the cooling rack until the ganache had set up.

Oh my gosh.  These are so good.  Too good.  I do not want them laying around for long.  Luckily, Devin eats 2 everytime he passes the counter, so they should be gone soon.

Comments

Popular Posts