Sherried Shrimp

Here's a recipe I got from Damon Fowler.  He's a cook book author and food historian.  I've known him for a long time.  We used to sing together in the choir at St. John's Episcopal Church in Savannah, GA.
Anyhoo- when I saw this recipe he published on Paula Deen's website, I had to try it out.  I love shrimp bisque, and this is very reminiscent of that, owing probably to the shrimp and the sherry.

The recipe is very simple.  He serves his over rice.  I served mine over cheese grits.  You can serve it over anything you want.  ;)

Here's the recipe, in Damon's words....I didn't change anything.  I LOVE cut and paste!


Sherried Shrimp
Damon Fowler
Serves 4

8 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 large clove garlic, lightly crushed and peeled, but left whole

48 large shrimp (about 1½ pounds), peeled

Salt and ground cayenne pepper

½ cup dry sherry

3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley

3 cups Lowcountry Steamed Rice

Put the garlic and butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat and cook until the garlic is golden, about 2 minutes. Remove and discard the garlic. Add the shrimp and sauté, tossing frequently, until curled and pink, about 3 minutes. Season well with salt and cayenne, both to taste (Savannah’s inlet brown shrimp often don’t need added salt), and remove them with a slotted spoon to a warm platter.
Add the sherry and bring it to a boil, stirring and scraping the pan, and let it boil half a minute. Stir in the parsley and pour it over the shrimp. Serve at once, over rice or with plenty of crusty bread to sop up the sauce.

Comments

Popular Posts